Vision not connecting in classroom

I have a classroom that was working just great until earlier this week, i then got a ticket for it not working. I look at it and it appears it just isnt seeing the students computers (greyed out like its disconnected) and i have been unable to get them to reconnect. i even tried installing the teacher module on another computer with no luck, also tried to reimage a student computer with no luck. seems to be the only room so far.

any help would be appreciated

vision 7 on windows 7
    Last edited by franks; 01-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Dear Franks,

please do the following on the Teacher: click File -> Preferences tab -> Network tab and change the network type to Wireless (regardless of how the PCs connect), and the network adapter from default, to the specific network card that it connects with. Then click Apply/OK and restart the computer.

Please let me know about the outcome.
    Kindest regards,

Gianina-Aniela

Netop Support

I am having the same problem. I had Vision 7.2.0 working fine on a recent Windows 7 install (all of the student computers are also using Windows 7), but a few days ago, the student computers stopped connecting to the teacher station. I also have a laptop configured as a teacher computer and the student computers connect to it just fine. I made sure the laptop was disconnected (and even turned off) before trying to connect the other computer, but it hasn't helped. I can ping the student computers, and can even retrieve their detailed system information from the teacher computer, through the Edit Details feature, but Vision won't connect to them. Another odd thing is that I can use Vision to power a student computer up from the affected teacher computer, but I can't power it off. I'm pretty sure that they're not connected to another Vision classroom, as I am able to connect and disconnect to the classroom from the laptop. Also, there are no other labs currently setup with Vision in our school.

Steve Barner
    South Burlington High School

Hello Steve,

Did you go on the Teacher, File -> Preferences tab -> Network tab, and pick Wireless, then the specific NIC in the PC? Do you have any firewall, antivirus on the machines? Did you ping the students by name or by IP? (please note that you need to ping the students by computer name)

Also, did you have previous versions installed? Please note that it is recommended to uninstall previous versions first (it is also advisable to delete Netop/Vision and Genevalogic folders especially if you had old versions), then install the new version.

I look forward to hearing from you
    Kindest regards,

Gianina-Aniela

Netop Support

Quote Originally Posted by Gianina Aniela Casleanu View Post
    Hello Steve,

Did you go on the Teacher, File -> Preferences tab -> Network tab, and pick Wireless, then the specific NIC in the PC? Do you have any firewall, antivirus on the machines? Did you ping the students by name or by IP? (please note that you need to ping the students by computer name)

Also, did you have previous versions installed? Please note that it is recommended to uninstall previous versions first (it is also advisable to delete Netop/Vision and Genevalogic folders especially if you had old versions), then install the new version.

I look forward to hearing from you
    your universal fix didnt work, this program is so inconsistant my teachers have started going back to another program we have use before.

i will still have students that connect one day and wont others. i have installed to specs and have it working fine and then they just sometimes wont connect or some features will work and others wont. i had called to get help but they said the service contract was going to cost $17k and that they wouldnt help without it. i think any company that wont stand behind their program has problems.

out of 10 labs in one of my schools atleast 6 have problems with vision and the other 4 just dont report the problems if they have them.

id appreciate it if someone could help pinpoint the problem but i dont see us updating the contract to get the required service.

no reply all week!!! great company

Dear franks, we truely apologize for missing your post and also for the issues you are experiencing.

There are several things that can cause the problems you are having, depending on your environment and other third party software running on those PCs.

Furthermore, if you are using an older version of our software on newer systems, you are bound to encounter problems.

This is why we always recommend an upgrade to the latest version of our software, as it includes bux fixes, new features, functionalities and compatibility with third party software.

In the times of fast changing operating systems and security software, running the latest version of our application can ensure its smooth functioning in your environment.

With regards to the reported problem, I recommend that you contact us either by submitting a support request, via Live Chat or directly by phone, so that it is easier to follow up with you and provide the best advice in this case.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Kindest regards,

Gianina-Aniela

Netop Support

Regarding Vision software: Half of our Vista computers suddenly quit connecting to the teacher computer after I had an outside tech come in to help me. This is what I had to change this time and one other time it happened. Right Click on Network > Properties > Network and Sharing Center > Change Network under Customize from Public to Private network. Mine connected instantly to the teacher computer. Has to be private to be discoverable. Some of ours quit working because we had an outside tech come in and help with some tech stuff and apparently he change the type of network. I know because he had the window open to do so when I passed through on my way to do my share of the job.